Thursday, August 18, 2016

If you like it put a Dresden on it!




If you like it put a Dresden on it............and then you will love it!


I was at a Stash Bash mini retreat last year when I discovered this "old is new again" phenomenon.  One of the girls whose name was Amy (I didn't really know her yet) was making a Dresden Block and I was curious about it.  All I knew was that Dresdens were probably your grandmother's quilt block.  Not true!  Hers was awesome and it was made with modern fabrics, turquoise, if I remember correctly!  She graciously showed me how to make them.  Then another one shows up, Karie had half Dresdens appliqued on each side of a zip pouch, rainbow - of course.  Stop it! Then, yet another one, made by Teresa out of the coolest Cotton & Steel fabrics that she placed on a tote bag. 
I thought about it for the rest of the weekend and wanted to get started on one immediately.  I already felt so  behind in this Dresden craze!  When the retreat ended, I was able to leave Greenville, South Carolina on a route that could take me past The Cary Quilting Company.  OK, it was a little bit out of the way, but we are talking emergency sewing supplies. Luckily, they had the perfect Tula Pink Fabric (The Eden Tiger head print) that I had in mind for my huge Dresden and they had the ruler too, bonus!  Go big or go home, right? 
I mean I did - I went home and cut out a really BIG one and a medium one too.  Next, I constructed an even bigger low volume tote bag to applique them on.  The finished product made me so happy!   It actually was showcased on Tula Pink's IG feed and I was thrilled.
Rainbow Dresden pillow
Lesson learned - old quilt blocks should not be forgotten, they should just be reinvented with fun new fabrics.  Also noteworthy, I am now fast friends with all these Dresden ladies. Thanks Amy, for letting me in on this fun direction to take my sewing. (We are now like a sewing gang that crosses several states.)
These are easy and addicting!  After making the giant Tula Tiger Tote, I went on to make Christmas gift bags, a rainbow Dresden pillow, and the larger than life Scrappy Dresden Quilt by Red Pepper Quilts that finished at over 50".  Continuing on with this giant Dresden trend, I am working on a Bathing Beauties poolside quilt that is almost as big.
I don't see an end to the possibilities here.


Bathing Beauties in process
Pillow I made for the nana company swap

 

Christmas gift bags for sewing circle gals

5 comments:

  1. Linda, you are just amazing. I so wish I had more time to sew. Your beach body quilt almost looks like it could be made out of recycled ties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really make me want to start quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really make me want to start quilting!

    ReplyDelete