Friday, December 2, 2016

Let's Make Sewing Great Again - with Trolls!




When Springs Creative told us that our next fabric adventure would be Trolls, I was so excited!  I have loved Trolls since I was little and still have my GIANT Santa Troll, he is at least 50 years old and over a foot tall.

The new age Trolls are preppier and sort of sparkly and a lot more animated than the old standby naked trolls with crazy hair.  They have an entire story line and personality in their new movie.

I was offered a variety of Troll fabrics and started with the soft flannel.   I used 10" squares and added yellow terrycloth backing to make some fun and super-soft washcloths.

For my second project I made a large sturdy tote for a child's day of activities or school supplies and books.  I added pockets to the outside and to the inside to hold notebooks, pens and a cell phone (I am sure every kid that is old enough to like Trolls probably has a cell phone already).  I used the glitter Troll fabric for the lining and much to my surprise, I did not have glitter on my face when I was finished.  Possibly the only time I have used glitter fabric that actually stayed on the fabric after cutting, sewing, and ironing!  It's a miracle.

For my third project I made an adjustable Art Apron that could be used for cooking also.  The front pockets could hold paintbrushes or that smart girl's iPhone.  The apron was made with denim fabric that was actually a HUGE picnic tablecloth from IKEA.  I have been using it for many, many projects and still have some left.  The apron pattern is Simplicity 2555 and I used the "ADD some glitter" Troll fabric for the pocket and appliqued a fun Troll to the top.

I also made a fully quilted 16" Reverse Sawtooth Star pattern pillow - good for lounging!

Fun fabrics to work with and I really enjoyed making these Troll items - brought back some great childhood memories, I will probably have to see the movie now.


Vintage Santa Troll

1 comment: